oldfatslow

Tu tene eum procul; Ego curram ob auxilium!

Friday, March 23, 2007

Memories of Youth I

My MBA program was drawing to a close.
I'd studied down an accounting path
for some reason. It seemed clear
at the time. Now, I went out interviewing.
Big Eight accounting firms (that should
date me) was where I spent most of my effort
and was well rewarded.

The most interesting was with Peat Marwick.
I'd talked to a manager or two and a partner
and was waiting outside the office of
another partner for him to get out of
a meeting. A tall, good looking man
came by and asked me what I was doing.
I told him and he said, "I'll talk
with you."

In his office he told me that he was the
partner-in-charge of the audit department.
He began to talk knowingly about my resume.
It wasn't until later that I realized that
this chance interview might not have been
so accidental.

We talked about all of the schools I had
attended, but he never mentioned THE BOB.
I knew enough to know that the Atlanta
office of PMM knew of Bob Jones. Finally,
he did come back to Bob Jones. I smiled.
He said, "I see you're smiling. We've had
good experience hiring folks from Bob Jones,
but sometimes they can't handle the strong
language in the business world. That's why
I used the word 'damn' a couple of times."
I looked at him and said, "I was in a
fraternity at the University of Florida,
Sir." He replied, "Oh...oh, you've heard
it all then?"

ofs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home