oldfatslow

Tu tene eum procul; Ego curram ob auxilium!

Saturday, January 27, 2007

10 Ducks and a Conger

For Craig and I, the season is over. We had our last hunt
today. We partied up with my boss and his friend and the
two boats. Mike and John hunted off an island in the
center of the impoundment and we were hunting a reed
line closer to the edge.

The way things set up, we only had the stray ringer
come zinging through every so often. I tried getting
out of the boat, hunting other spots on the reed
line, and moving decoys, but nothing was making the
ducks slow down.

Things improved after most other hunters in
the area either filled their limits or left early. The
ringers seemed to lose some of their wariness. We
were able to coax several birds in with a gentle
purr in the duck call. It was very effective.

Craig ended the day with 6 birds and I had
4. You may not see the tenth duck in the picture,
but it is a drake wedged under a hen. It was one
of Craig's cripples I retrieved. I saw it in the
reeds and knew it was too alive to chase. I had
to pop him at fairly close range. Several "jokes"
were made at the check station about the nearly
headless duck.

I had another close encounter of the scaly
kind. I went looking for a drake ringer I hit
that landed in the bullrushes. I plowed through
several times where I thought it might have landed.
In the middle of the reeds was a large open area.
I saw movement to my left and realized that it
was a water moccasin slithering over a mound
of vegetation. I shot it and then shot it again.
That was very satisfying.

Youth waterfowl day next Saturday. Should
be a good hunt.

ofs

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it looks like y'all ended the season well! Congrats! And nice moves, going all "Duck Commander" on that moccasin.

-Rob

3:16 AM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

We saw the guys in the
impoundment east of us
picking up about the same
time we were. They fired
two shots. Craig said,
"I'll bet they killed a
moccasin too." I pooh
poohed that for, what
are the odds. When
we got to the launching
area, they confirmed his
guess.

They'd even lost a duck
to a gator. That's the
problem of never having had
a really cold hunt day all
year.

ofs

ofs

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home