oldfatslow

Tu tene eum procul; Ego curram ob auxilium!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tuesday Hunt

I had a draw at the Wildlife Management
Area today. I made a mistake with my entry
and got a Tuesday instead of a Saturday.
Originally, Dave and Jim were going to have
class and wouldn't make it, but their classes
were canceled and the hunt was on. We got
up on time, got to the check station, and waited
our draw. Jason C. didn't have a draw for
today, so we invited him to join us. Joe
Richter gave us valuable advice on what spot
to choose and off we went. It wasn't a hard
walk or a tough wade. We set up with lots
of time. Jason had a mojo and a bunch of
Herter's bwt decoys. I had my old Carrylites,
a bunch of coots, and my holy handgrenade
powered flashy wing wobble duck.

There were clouds of teal buzzing us in
the dark and flocks of whistling ducks
all around. It was exciting.

The action started fast and furious and
all teal all the time. We ended the
day with a limit for Jason and me, Dave's
first limit ever, and Jim's first green
wing teal ever. In all, we had 22 ducks.
What a day!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger vanckirby said...

gotta say that kills me to see since i had an invite but had to work. im glad you guys had a good hunt but i am crying inside! guess i was predestined to be teaching high school students j gresham machen"s "christian view of man" rather than duck hunting. maybe one of my students will grow up to be the next great reformer and i can take solace in the "kingdom work" that i did today... ahh crap... who am i kidding... i wish i had been hunting!

10:29 PM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

Van,

You have to get your priorities right. Killing ducks is Kingdom Work.

We'll see if we can't work something in over the holidays. It may be tricky, my two big boys will be home from college and wanting to catch up and the next two boys want to keep their leads.

You will never have a better day than the first time your son knocks down a duck on the wing. I have my most fun (after the rare times I've finished my limit) calling in ducks for them, whacking their cripples, and making their retrieves. It's even more fun when they start to do all that for themselves. Having your kids as true partners in the blind is great.

ofs

6:55 AM  
Blogger vanckirby said...

hope you get some birds in the morning! be safe and have a great hunt!

11:33 PM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

Skunked! We had a lot of
big groups of ringers, but
we weren't where they wanted
to fly. What's worse, we
ran out of skeeter spray.
there were bazillions of them.

ofs

12:17 PM  
Blogger vanckirby said...

those skeeters get so big that out of the corner of your eye they look like ducks.

sorry to hear about the skunk!

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home