oldfatslow

Tu tene eum procul; Ego curram ob auxilium!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Hen Killers

Tuesday, I took Jenny and her friend Abby
out to TMG.  We were first draw for the
reservoir and should have had an excellent
morning.  But, I had scouted the day
before and there were few ducks there
despite the conditions (topped out
hydrilla) being excellent. 

We ended up with one fulvous duck.
It was disappointing to say the least.

But, that was then.  On Thursday, Jim,
Stuart, and I headed out to hunt a "secret" spot
I had scouted the previous Saturday (after
a spectacularly failed opening day hunt.)

Few people ever hunt this area but I've
had some good hunts.  We got where we
were going with ease.  Got the decoys out
and got the boat up against some bushes.
I was shocked to find hulls in the water
where someone had hunted between Saturday
and Thursday.  [What's worse, the guys who
had hunted there had been shooting #1s and
BBs at teal.  What were they thinking about?]

We put out coots, bwt, gwt, a few woodies, and
a pinner for decoys.  I figured I'd try my mojo
teal one more time.  Wow, did we set up well.
Not only were we deep in shadows all morning,
but the decoys were set up perfectly for
ducks coming from left to right into the wind.
Never have I had so many birds want to decoy
and land.  There were times we had to yell
to get a duck to fly up out of the dekes.  They
just couldn't see us.  The wind was right too.
The decoys really looked real moving in the
water. 


We had a lot of singleton ducks come through
and a few small groups.  It was a lot of fun.
Jim and I both limited (his first). And, Stu
got a teal and a very confused and lost ringer.


The odd thing on the day was that every duck
was a hen.  Not a drake on the marsh.  Go
figure.







ofs

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home