oldfatslow

Tu tene eum procul; Ego curram ob auxilium!

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pie Man Jim

This was the boat blind for Saturday's hunt.
Both boys are sitting in there.

It was a great spot, good decoy placement,
and no ducks. We ended up with a stray
green wing for Dave and a stray blue
wing teal for me.


We decided to go scout and maybe shoot a
few snipe. On a small island, we found this.

How it got there, we had no idea. We debated
what kind of goose it was and if it was legal
to shoot. I finally told Jim to take a whack
at it. The bird took off and flew to the far
end of the island. Now, this was an island
that had been shared with a whole herd
of cattle.

Jim decided to belly crawl up on the
goose to get a shot.


Closer

Almost there. But, it took off right as
he was closer. Turns out it was a blue
phase snow goose and very legal. We'll
never get another crack at one of those.


Jim will forever be known now as
Pie Man. We made him sit down
wind of us the rest of the day.

We decided to go shoot a few snipe.



This was the ultimate take.



And this was dinner. No more ducks in
the freezer.


ofs

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Why shoot birds?

6:53 PM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

I don't know how to
pluck deer.

ofs

7:08 PM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

That was a bit of
a snide reply and I
apologize. But, I
do not know if you
are serious.

My real reason to hunt
is the same as why
David the shepherd
killed lions and bears.
Ultimately, he did so
he would be ready for
battle. I am too old,
but my sons may have to
face America's enemies
some day. I want them
used to firearms, hardship,
patience, planning, safety,
responsibility, danger, and
adventure.

Our hunts encompass all
of these. The marsh is
not a soccer field. A
mistake in the marsh won't
result in a goal for the
opposing team, but may cost
the life of someone. My
sons face real danger with
courage and they have learned
real skills.

Life is dangerous and
adventuresome. Modern
society tries to breed
that out of young men. But
not in my house.

All that and the excitement
of finding the ducks, luring
the ducks, and killing our
limit is why we hunt.

ofs

8:29 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

wow, what a great explanation. And you could add, as I think my dad would...because it is just plain fun!...Well for ya'll it is : )Great pictures too!

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home