oldfatslow

Tu tene eum procul; Ego curram ob auxilium!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend



Nineteen years is a long time for a backyard swingset
to last. Ours made it that far, but no farther. My
father bought it for my #2 son's first birthday. My
father-in-law helped me assemble it. We wore through
many hangers and wore out many swings. The slide
was removed and reattached with every hurricane
that threatened to send it frisbeeing through the
neighborhood. It survived partial dis-assembly,
relocation, and re-assembly when we moved to this
house, but time, constant use, termites, big storms,
and entropy triumphed.

In its last days, it was down to one operating swing,
a slide kept only in place by sheer weight, and loosening
bolts and nails. The kids had reported that nails and
bolts were visibly loosening; I forbade them to use
it until I could see if it could be saved. Monday,
time ran out. It collapsed in a heap. I got out
the chain saw, sledge hammer, claw hammers, and
wrenches. It was in garbage manhandleable pieces
and on the road far too quickly.

Our old friend and meditation spot will be missed.




ofs

2 Comments:

Blogger vanckirby said...

now i see where you get all those palms from!

sorry to hear about the swing set.

3:58 PM  
Blogger oldfatslow said...

My favorite landscaping.

ofs

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home